PLATFORMS: PC, PS5, XBOX SERIES X
Witness the birth of sapient AI in this sprawling atmospheric hacking adventure.
Recompile aims to be the first ever Metroidvania-style game to include multiple, highly dynamic critical paths. Your play style and choices matter, weaving together a narrative unique to you as the true nature of the mysterious virtual world is revealed.
The game’s entire story takes place within 1 second of real time.
The moment-to-moment gameplay of Recompile centers around 4 core mechanics.
Explore the ancient, sprawling ruins of the Mainframe and discover a range of traversal abilities to help you on your journey towards attaining true sapience.
You, The Program, must decide on whether to help or hinder the denizens of the Mainframe. The inhabitants are strange and diverse, and many are found to be inherently hostile. A full complement of powerful weapons and abilities are available to help you survive, defend and destroy.
Every single environmental feature, including power grids, locked doors and even huge enemy spawning systems are all powered by intricate, interconnected logic gate circuitry. Nothing is hardcoded, everything is systemic, and everything fully exploitable.
Logic gates can be freely inverted, overridden or disabled entirely, allowing puzzles or other threatening obstacles to be peacefully and safely bypassed. Even the inhabitants themselves can be tampered with, their programming changed to follow the player’s commands.
Although Recompile is still in active development, the game has seen a number of notable mentions from press and has been officially selected for showcasing at various festivals.
Press & Other Mentions
- “This hack-happy Metroidvania’s raw energy powers our curiosity” - Edge Magazine
- “It’s striking, singular stuff” - Edge Magazine
- “Makes hacking look beautiful” - Eurogamer
- “My favourite game I saw [at PAX East] was Recompile” - Gamespot
- “Recompile instantly grabs you” - Gamespot
- “Stunning to look at, even better in motion” - VG247
- “Recompile is an intriguing 3D metroidvania to keep an eye on for next year” - Rock Paper Shotgun
- “A game-changing 3D Metroidvania” - Wireframe Magazine
- “Recompile’s certainly a looker, full of weird environments conjured up by the Mainframe” - PC Gamer
- “12 cool-looking indie games in development right now” - PC Gamer
- “Recompile’s strong visual identity [is] one of its selling points” - PC Gamer
- “One of the most satisfyingly-punchy action games I’ve played” - Rami Ismail
- “Your game annoys me because it looks so good” - Mike Bithell
- The Steam Game Festival 2020 Summer Edition, Official Selection - Steam
- The Steam Game Festival 2020 Spring Edition, Official Selection - Steam
- Day of the Devs 2018, Official Selection - Day of the Devs, San Francisco
- Day of the Devs 2019, Official Selection - Day of the Devs, San Francisco
- Made With Unity Showcase 2019, Official Selection - Unite, Copenhagen
- Made With Unity Showcase 2020, Official Selection - GDC, San Francisco
- The MIX 2019, Official Selection - Gamescom, Cologne
- The MIX 2020, Official Selection - GDC, San Francisco
- Kinda Funny Games Showcase 2019, Official Selection - E3, Los Angeles
- The RPS Sessions 2019, Official Selection - EGX Rezzed, London
Awards & Nominations
- Gamescom 2020 Best Unity Game - Indie Arena Booth
- Gamescom 2020 Game of Show Finalist - Ukie
- Gamescom 2019 Game of the Show Nominee - Gamerspack
- PAX East 2020 Editor’s Choice - Handsome Phantom
- Valencia Indie Awards 2020 Finalist - Valencia Indie Summit
Recompile is currently in active development by the micro game studio Phigames based in Manchester, UK.
Please contact Phi Dinh for more information, or reach out to us on Twitter.
Dear Villagers is a warm hearted invitation to join us in the little unusual neighborhood we are building within the gaming industry, a place where talented studios can unleash their creativity and where players enjoy distinctive and audacious games on PC and console.